Crayfish plague is the greatest threat to noble crayfish. We need your help to stop the plague spreading further. Signal crayfish carry the plague and are spread by people. The plague is also spread by traffic between watercourses.
This is what you can do to help:
- do not move signal crayfish to new watercourses
- ensure boats and equipment are completely dry or disinfected before use in new watercourses
- use only bait (of any form) from the same watercourse
This is how you disinfect:
- wash thoroughly with a solution of 1 dl of chlorine to 2 litres of water.
- let the chlorine solution work for 10 minutes.
If you find dead or sick crayfish, telephone the Norwegian Food Safety Authority on +47 22 40 00 00.
For further information, see mattilsynet.no